Jason

Prior to attending the Manhattan multicultural program I was not doing much. I went to Pennsylvania with my girl friend, hung out with my friends, relaxed and played football. I didn't really know nor do anything about the global issues that I learned about during the program. Truthfully I was kind of forced to attend this program by my mother and I didn't feel that these issues affected me or mattered. In short I was wrong and I am extremely happy that I attended this program.

This program gave me more insight regarding international issues that affect many people in the world. We went to many different places and experienced many different things during the two weeks of the program. We visited Non-Governmental Organizations and Human Rights Organizations. We also had a “spiritual diversity day” where we went to a Mosque, Synagogue, and Church.

Finally, we spent quite a bit of time at the United Nations. We got badges and had almost unlimited access to the entire building, it was extremely exciting. The main themes of the two weeks were the Millennium Development Goals. These eight goals were set by the United Nations to improve the conditions of lives in the world and are supposed to be completed by 2015.

My most insightful time during the two weeks was when we visited the Mosque. I was born and raised Roman Catholic and did not have any real experiences with the Muslim religion. I learned a lot on the trip to the Mosque and it really opened my eyes to the religion and practices of Muslim people.

I will most definitely take what I learned and apply it to my life. On a larger scale I will definitely get more involved in the model UN and other similar affiliations at school. I am going to try and organize dances and school functions to benefit the Millennium Development Goals and more importantly the overall issues of Human Rights and other World issues. I think that if awareness is raised then people will be more likely to do something. Many people have no idea what is going on in this world because they don’t believe it affects them. All in all, this entire program was an amazing experience and I will most likely be attending again next year.

ALL human beings are born FREE and EQUAL in dignity and rights. 

-Universal Declaration of Human Rights