Simon

I live in Brooklyn and go to Stuyvesant High School in Manhattan. Before attending the MMSY program, I wasn't really doing anything constructive for myself, except maybe lying around and beating the last level of Resident Evil 4. My only break to this endeavor was on weekends when I would venture to Upstate New York with family and friends; a particularly careless lifestyle after a long strenuous year at Stuyvesant High School. It was only after learning about MMSY from my mother did I (with a slightly cynical expression on my face) agree to undertake the designated interview.

From my very first day, which was just to do the interview, meet other participants in the MMSY program, and get our United Nations IDs, I was already learning the program objective, tolerance. Despite thinking that I would learn mostly about the UN's activities, tolerance occupied a key portion of the program. Nothing would have prepared me for the unexpected thrill of the program. Everyday a new experience awaited our group. The best part was, it wasn't just a straight schedule of lecturing and learning. Blessed with a group leader who is a licensed psychotherapist, we engaged in thought-provoking discussion about the day's activities and happenings. It was this element of the MMSY program that surprised me the most because most other organizations and programs wouldn't do an agenda that's discussion based besides educationally based. Not only was it fun to partake in these conversations, but we also had the opportunity to learn more about each other and, most importantly, ourselves. It was also a matter of reality. Located in cosmopolitan, melting pot (for lack of a better term) Manhattan, with lots of people to encounter and, not to mention, argue with. For some strange reason, this sense of imperfection, rather than an impervious, happy-go-lucky attitude, that really appealed to me when exploring the UN and Manhattan itself. One needs to understand that life isn't a smooth road. There are lots of bumps and detours.

Surely the MMSY program is a program I'll never forget. Partially because I'll use what I learned in future SAT essays, but mostly because I'll actually implement them in my day to day life. Ingrained with getting rid of preconceived notions since the start of the MMSY program, our group reflected on all our learning at the end of the program and considered our futures. As for me, I created a resolution to take people for who they truly are. Only, after spending enough time with them to determine their personality, can I make a rational judgment. This resolution was in terms of having a friendlier world that is more understanding of one another. Striving for this should be easy enough for me, but the slightly harder, yet still reachable goal, is to help the world. We have the institutions. We have the resources. We have the willpower.

The UN already has "missions" set up all around world for areas in desperate need of food, water, intervention, among other things. They also have partner institutions that help boost important factors in any society: education, medical care, safety, etc. The problem is people don't know that they exist! At least I certainly didn't. My goal is to let people know, get the message across, and make a little ripple in the world. My little help could turn out to be not so little. Time after time, humanity has proven to us that one person can change the world. If I could influence you, the reader, and two or three other people to learn about existing systems that help the world everyday, and all of you tell three or four other people and so on, educating impoverished countries, stopping genocides, and getting enough food and water around will be a lot easier. That's my ultimate goal at least. If you join MMSY program I'm sure that you will also develop a better sense of self that could eventually save millions. The place is here and the time is Summer 2010. Join.

ALL human beings are born FREE and EQUAL in dignity and rights. 

-Universal Declaration of Human Rights