Before I started the MMSY program, I was interning for National Dance Institute, a dance company that I danced with since I was nine until I was fourteen, when I graduated from the program. I was working in their office filing papers, updating address books and doing whatever was asked of me. If I wasn't at the office, I was at home doing summer assignments or spending time with my friends and going to my country house every weekend. It was an amazing experience to be able to know what it is like to work in an office building and to have to sit at a desk all day. I realized that I would never want to work behind a desk. Though it was a great experience, I couldn't wait to get out of the desk and start this program.

The tour of the United Nations helped us really understand what the UN does and learn about the different organizations that are a part of the UN. I learned what the UN does to protect a person's Human rights and the pressure that they put on a country to make sure that everyone has them. I like how they single the countries out to make a difference.

We attended a talk on Palestine where we studied about the history between Israel and Palestine, which I already knew from my history classes, but it was interesting to hear his input and the way that he explained the situation was different from the way that a history teacher would because the speaker explained it through a person from the United Nations point of view. I wanted to learn more about what they were doing to stop the conflict.

I really liked the Tolerance Center. It made me realize that I have to really make an effort to be a good person. The Center also made me realize how terrible so many other people lives are and how fortunate I am to be living the life that I am right now. I knew that terrible things were happening all over the world but I never realized how many places and all the different places and its people it affected. Young children aren't safe in their homes; they grow up angry because of the things that they see happen around them. People do not think about what they say; for whatever reason things come out of other people's mouths that truly hurt and offend other people.

When we went to the different religions sacred places, I thought that was a great experience. I never really knew anything about Buddhism. At the church I thought it was very interesting to hear about the bread line that they have and experiencing eating the food that is given to the homeless people every day.

Going on the bus tour of Manhattan was really fun. Even though I have lived in New York all of my life, I have never been on a bus tour before. I was able to see New York in a different light. I never realized how pretty some of the buildings are and I became even more proud to say that I am a New Yorker.

The Youth Assembly was really inspiring. Everyone had a different way of making a difference in this world and they were all trying to spread their messages. I had never heard of Terracycle before and now I am trying to get my school to be a part of this and spend the trash to Terracycle so that they can do good with it. Another person that rowed from Africa to South America by herself to raise money for clean water. She raised so much money and had to train for the experience. She put herself in danger to help other people, realizing that to help other people you can't just say coped up in your room; you have to do something about it.

Before this program I didn't really know that much about the issues going on around the world involving poverty and violence. I never knew how little people are able to live on. It is really sad and it makes me very passionate about helping out and doing good in this world. After watching Peace One Day movie, I really want to be able to show this movie to my school and explain to the teenagers how their life is so good and how other lives are so terrible. We live in one of the most powerful countries in the world and most people don't know anything about the Millennium Development Goals. Because of this I am thinking about starting a club at my school to make people aware of the goals and have different fundraisers to raise money. I was thinking about bringing my school to the Stand Up Against Poverty function and making them really aware of the different issues that are going on in this world. They need to understand what other people in this world have to go through every day. I am so happy that I did something useful with my summer.

ALL human beings are born FREE and EQUAL in dignity and rights. 

-Universal Declaration of Human Rights