William

In the school year, I was part of Bayside’s Leadership class, a special class that consisted of students that would come together early in the morning to discuss and plan most of the school’s events for the entire year. Usually my role would be on the side, every once in a while giving a little piece of an idea to, as I felt, make the event seem better. I also liked being able to help the underclassmen in the class who needed help learning how to plan and order the necessary items for the upcoming events. I was also part of Bayside’s quite well known Chinese Yoyo Club, where we would perform tricks the Chinese yoyos and even teach other students how to use and eventually perform with the rest of the team on stage. This way, we gain a sense of unity, learn patience and learn about a fun part of an interesting culture. I didn’t know what to expect from MMSY program. I had been waking up late for the last month, and had been a little lazy. I was going to college soon, and thought that relaxing this summer would be a nice idea. However, I’m grateful to my mom for informing me of MMSY program, otherwise I would have just been staying at home and wasting my days until classes began.
Attending MMSY program was one of the most informative, interesting, and eye opening experiences that I have ever had in my short life so far. I have learned things that I normally would have learned in school. The MMSY program has really shown me that the United Nations and its related organizations have a much greater role and impact in the world today, and I’m utterly grateful that MMSY program gave me the chance to interact with the wonderful people behind the scenes that run these organizations. My summer would have been much less productive without MMSY program.
While I was born and raised in New York City, mainly Queens, my family is from Philippines. My mother is from a small town called Laoag, and my father is from a farm in Badoc. Both came to America in the 1980s, and we’ve lived in New York all this time. In my short life so far, I’ve come to realize just how much of a melting pot New York City is. Filipino culture alone has incorporated so many Eastern hemisphere cultures into one.
The first day of the MMSY program, I wanted to really observe who the other students in this group were, and I’m glad that, in the end, I was able to make friends with some unique characters. We learned quite a lot about each other and how we each want to have a role in making this world a better place.
It was my first time ever to visit and even tour around the United Nations, and I was quite happy to see and learn about how this interesting international organization functioned. The first day, despite my drowsiness, I found quite interesting. I was unaware that I was standing on the territory of 193 countries all at once! The kind of ideas and lessons that we heard from the representatives were not ones a student could learn in school. This was a rare opportunity to really learn about the inner workings of the U.N.
At the Tolerance Museum, was actually one of my favorite days, as the bullying subject was quite relatable, as I explained the next day. I was very taken back by how something simple as words can become a full out terrorist act. It doesn’t matter how one may think, words do have power. I feel as though that really helped the group open up as whole and made it easier for all of us to come together.
Another favorite day of mine was the holy sites. It was a truly eye opening experience to visit and see the worship sites for Islam and Judaism, as I had never visit either one before. I felt nervous in the mosque, I don’t know why, but it was still an interesting experience to learn and see how beautifully simple the inside of the mosque was. I actually felt a little more comfortable in the synagogue, as it seemed a little more to me like a church, which I’m used to. I was intrigued by that fact that they kept the men and women separate in the ceremonies.
Visiting various UN agencies, really opened my eyes as to what humanity has great potential to achieve, especially the youth. I feel like the demographic of MMSY program is perfect, as you take teens becoming young adults who can really use their local resources and unique skills to really spread the word and even contribute to the achievement to the ideas that United Nations is working for, like the Millennium Development Goals (MDG), are quite what the youth should really start focusing on in the world as they grow older, so that they can also help make this world a better place for the next generation.
As I will be taking many Political Science courses in my college classes, I feel like I could really be a part of a group in the UN in the future. I really hope that I can have part of my college education point me in a good direction, and one of those directions is helping the world in some way.
It really caught my interest when one of the presenters said that the interns in the United Nations were grad students. This gave me even further incentive to go to grad school so I could intern at such an influential organization.
It is always a young child’s dream to make some kind of change in the world, and sometimes these children gain the opportunity to become a president, ambassador, or another important world leader. I would one day like to have a similar chance to have my piece added to the puzzle so that I can contribute to the achievement of the Millennium Development Goals and so on, as I am one of the many people around the world who wish to make a difference in a harsh world that seeks peace.
I, again, would like to thank Mahroo and her interns for guiding us and showing us such an interesting close up view of the United Nations that few students really see. It opened my eyes and really gave me a new perspective on how I should think about the world, the people in it, and how I can really make a difference and help make it a better place.

ALL human beings are born FREE and EQUAL in dignity and rights. 

-Universal Declaration of Human Rights